Skip to main content
6:00 am
acknowledge someone you love today. tell them you love them. love will save the involved so go out and show some love. give some love. receive some love. just love today. happy super bowl sunday to you guys. bill press is back on monday for everybody at the team, dan, phil, cyprian, and peter, my sidekick, thank you so. >> this is "the bill press show."
6:01 am
[♪ theme music ♪] >> stephanie: hello. happy friday, everybody. jacki schechner chris can you get your organ out for me. jacki schechner i'm in two
6:02 am
thruples with you as you know. >> yes. >> i went out with one of our thruples without you tonight and that was a big mistake. i went with melissa fitzgerald to a dinner party that i could walk to, and drank entirely too much red wine. [ applause ] >> i knew you were going to have a drink. >> stephanie: yeah it was a big, big -- >> huge! >> stephanie: you know how i am going to remedy that? we're all going out tonight. all right. here she is the deeply sober jacki schechner. >> good morning, everybody. ed koch passed away. he died this morning at the age of 88. he serves the city of manhattan from 1978 to 1989 and was a
6:03 am
congressman before that. he became a regular media figure, and was a judge on the people's court. a new documentary on the mayor run opens date. a suicide bomber a and caused a blast in cur i can outside the u.s. embassy. at least one other person has been seriously injured. so far no one has claimed responsibility. another consideration would be some sort of iranian attack in retaliation for an israel air strike. for the first time tomorrow senior officials from the united states and russia will get together to talk about political transition in syria. joining them will be membersover
6:04 am
the united nations. the goal is to end the civil war that has now killed some 60,000 people. today is secretary of state hillary clinton's last day on the job. she has repeatedly dodged questions about running for president in 2016. we're back where more show after the break. happy friday. stay with us. ♪ what we need are people prepared for the careers of our new economy. by 2025 we could have 20 million jobs without enough college graduates to fill them. that's why at devry university we're teaming up with companies like cisco to help make sure everyone is ready with the know-how we need for a new tomorrow. [ male announcer ] make sure america's ready. make sure you're ready. at devry.edu/knowhow. ♪ ♪
6:05 am
6:06 am
6:07 am
[♪ theme music ♪] >> announcer: ladies and gentlemen, it's the "stephanie miller show"! ♪ i'm walking on sunshine, woe ho ♪ ♪ i'm walking on sunshine woe ho ♪ ♪ it's time to feel good ♪ ♪ hey all right now ♪
6:08 am
♪ it's time to feel good ♪ >> stephanie: shhhhhhh quiet time for momma everybody. >> is this the time where we have to put our heads on the desk? >> stephanie: momma has a massive red wine headache that is impervious to aspirin. i walked to a party last night, and that was bad news. >> and so what are you doing to do tonight? >> stephanie: we're going to party tonight! and i'm having a super bowl party sunday. >> i'm not going to that one. i got another thing to go to. >> stephanie: doing one thing with me over the weekend is too
6:09 am
much. speaking of parties -- [♪ "world news tonight" theme ♪] >> you have teased this for -- >> stephanie: i'm wasn't sure if i should tease and then announce it in hour three. but i'm teasing it now. because it's big -- it's big -- >> you are announcing it now, but saying that you can't -- i don't know that this is a good idea. >> stephanie: people will be ready. i'm teasing, and you can do it at the end of the show today. at 11:00 am in the midwest -- >> chicago it's time to step up for your sexy liberal rights. >> the right of the people out loud shall not be infringed. >> that's right. the stephanie miller sexy liberal comedy tour is coming to
6:10 am
the windy city. if you haven't witnessed this epic record-breaking comedy tour before, and if you have, do it again. on april 13th hal sparks, john fugelsang, and the darling of progressive media, steph steph are bringing a whole new level of naughty comedy to chicago. that's the stephanie miller sexy liberal comedy tour. live at the chicago theater. for your ticket goes to sexyliberal.com. >> no background check required. >> stephanie: and that's 11:00 am chicago time tickets go on sale. this is the only midwest one, and one west coast one, and that's it for 2013. [ applause ] >> stephanie: exactly.
6:11 am
there you go. chicago. but ticket aren't available now -- 11:00 am chicago time. >> all right. >> stephanie: that's when we get off. i couldn't announce it after we're on the air. >> we could announce it just before we got off of the air, and have people listen for all three hours. >> stephanie: all right. what? >> your red wine brain has forgotten the art of teasing. >> stephanie: that destroyed that part of my broadcast training. oh i didn't go to broadcast school. that's right. i can improvise. i can do the line of the nurse in streetcar named desire. >> which is? >> blanch it's time to go. [ applause ]
6:12 am
>> stephanie: i sounded more like a dude because of the hang over. >> yeah. >> stephanie: let's dive into right-wing world. [♪ circus music ♪] >> stephanie: really john mccain, really? >> he is kind of a douche. didn't he run his 2000 campaign -- >> stephanie: yes, he is on record saying all sorts of glowing things -- >> errrrrr! >> stephanie: he seemed a little openly hostile. >> yeah, a little tense. >> i think they are all angry that he was right about iraq. >> stephanie: that's the whole thing. like he was right about iraq and you were wrong overall, and that's what chuck hagel said. i'll let history judge that. all right. sean hannity. >> i'm always trying to get to the understanding of why. the president has problems with israel, we see what is happening
6:13 am
around the world. he knew this would be a controversial nominee, all of these trouble spots. why would obama pick him? >> stephanie: i'm sorry, did he just say obama has all of these problems with foreign policy. >> yeah. >> stephanie: i see, meaning he has been spectacularly successful and his approval rating are at an all-time high. >> exactly obama has been quite successful in repairing those relationships that george bush destroyed. >> everything was going fine until the black guy came along. >> yeah. >> they were all singing cunbiah. >> that's right. >> stephanie: and then he shows up. that one got in. [ sighs ] >> stephanie: and of course the
6:14 am
rise of radical -- what? osama bin laden is dead and -- what! i'm sorry, i'm turning into the hard-of-hearing darth vader. liz cheney. >> you have to assume the president isn't paying much at attention. the iranians have announced they are going to increase centrifuges, you have new threats by al-qaeda, two days ago the israels had to take action against a convoy that was carrying russian-made missiles. and chuck hagel showed today he is not up to the task of being in charge of our armed forces at this time. >> stephanie: wow. dinner time at the cheneys just has to be happy clappy isn't
6:15 am
it. [ applause ] >> stephanie: dangerous world. dangerous world. >> i have never seen a single person in that family smile. >> cheney has a -- >> no that is like a smirk. like a popeye -- >> stephanie: grimace kind of. >> it's a smimace. [ laughter ] >> stephanie: that's right. it's a grimace that passes as a smile. and he only busts that open when it is something festive like torture. >> i love it. just love it so much. >> stephanie: he grosses me out when he does that. >> i know. >> stephanie: what was the other impression you used to do that made me cry. [♪ dramatic music ♪] >> that was a long time ago. >> we have been doing this show
6:16 am
forever. >> stephanie: yeah. okay. rush limbaugh >> maybe a sour economy is worth it if it will distract obama and delay him on what he wants to do on guns and immigration. ap, the voice of the administration, no longer the associated press, the administration press openly worried that a souring economy is going to thwart obama's agenda, which, again, means that the economy is not part of his agenda. >> stephanie: that smelled a little treasonny again. he was openly wishing for the president's failure for a sour economy. >> he doesn't care. because he has -- >> stephanie: layers of blubber. >> he has a safe of gold coins like scrooge mcduck. >> stephanie: would you like
6:17 am
some fun facts by the way? [♪ fun-facts music ♪] >> oh, boy. it sounds like you have something stuck in your craw. >> stephanie: that's why i brought it up. chris in minneapolis. rush is about retirement age do you think he would be evil enough to poison the well so to speak, go to sports and stuff like that. and frightening potentially frightening advertisers away from talk radio. [ applause ] >> stephanie: oh, why chris, i wonder if that would ever happen. yes, yes, in fact that is happening. >> yeah, he doesn't give a damn. >> stephanie: yeah. [ laughter ] >> stephanie: various radio syndicators have made that statement. he has scared advertisers away
6:18 am
because of his slut talk -- so hundreds and hundreds of stations will suffer. >> especially people who are sarcastic. >> stephanie: did that seem a little bit bitter? >> little bit. >> stephanie: that winded yes. >> we'll just leave that there. >> we'll have to leave it there. >> stephanie: exactly. and just sorry that for posparity. >> what? >> prosparity. [ laughter ] >> stephanie: do you remember to back up your files in your computer? no, you probably don't. do what i do get carbonite online back up for your computer. if anything happens to your
6:19 am
computer, no need to worry, you can easily recover all of your backed up files with a click. >> woe. >> it is just up there. i don't know if it is up there, i think of it in a beautiful fluffy pink cloud. >> with a rainbow over it. >> stephanie: right. just $59 for all of your files, and carbonite also has plans to back up all of the computers for your small business. go to carbonite.com and the offer code is stephanie. >> it is worth it for the peace of mind alone. >> stephanie: that's right. thank you chris lavoie. >> announcer: the left roars back. [ fighting cats ] >> announcer: it's the
6:20 am
"stephanie miller show." ♪
6:21 am
6:22 am
6:23 am
>> she gets the comedians laughing... >> that's hilarious! >> ...and the thinkers thinking. >> okay, so there's wiggle-room in the ten commandments is what you're telling me. >> she's joy behar. >> and current will let me say anything. >> only on current tv.
6:24 am
♪ >> announcer: stephanie miller. ♪ what have you done for me lately ♪ ♪ woe, woe, woe, yeah ♪ ♪ what have you done for me lately ♪ ♪ oh oh oh yeah ♪ >> stephanie: yeah, uh-huh. it is the "stephanie miller show." welcome to it. twenty-three minutes after the hour. bill in jersey. welcome. >> caller: yeah, about chuck hagel this whole thing is ridiculous, because the opinions
6:25 am
or policies or whatever that the defense secretary are meaningless. he is not allowed to make his own policy and where was mccain when rums field was put in after he was selling to hussein. >> stephanie: yeah. it's not about only statement he made when -- you are absolutely right. sit to carry out the policy of the president. i loved some woman said he is so to the extreme left of president obama. >> i believe that was kelly arod that said that. >> stephanie: okay. so which is it? is he a socialist -- or is he -- >> or he's to the right of chuck hagel. >> stephanie: yeah. how can he be a socialist and chuck hagel -- >> or do these people not know the definition of socialism. >> stephanie: really?
6:26 am
>> i think that's the -- >> stephanie: interesting. >> big huge taxes to pay for roads! that's socialism! [ laughter ] >> stephanie: okay. bill o'reilly and bob beckel. >> the 60% who are answering approve of barack obama even though the economy is bad after -- >> it is better than it was -- >> yes, it is too. how can you possibly come up with -- >> it is not better than it used to be -- >> it is not going under water -- you have just wrong about this. >> yeah. i want you to understand where beckel is coming from. he will not admit it is worst than it was when the president took over. >> stephanie: i heard on fox and friends yesterday, i guess his
6:27 am
approval rating is high because so many people are getting handouts. that's why -- >> because 60% of america is getting a hand out. >> i haven't gotten mine. where is mine at? >> stephanie: we're all a bunch of moochers. >> meanwhile the u.s. economy added 157,000 jobs -- [♪ "world news tonight" theme ♪] >> stephanie: shut up! shhhh! >> stephanie: although the jobless rate did tick up to 7.9%. >> aha! [♪ dramatic music ♪] >> stephanie: it is going to be entertaining. them continuing to report news they don't really want to report. >> the earth is flat everyone knows it. you would fall off of the side if it is round.
6:28 am
>> stephanie: tony per kin. [♪ dramatic music ♪] >> stephanie: no, not that guy. the guy from the family -- >> oh, the really scary one. >> the vast majority of those involved in homosexuality choose that lifestyle. oftentimes it's the result of abuse, trauma, something that hand in their lives that lead them down this path. and that's one of the reasons we're very concerned about the boy scouts. the perversion files with the boy scouts detailed hundreds hundreds of cases that had happened between 1960s and the mid-1980s. that could lead to these experiences and -- and trauma for young boys that could lead them into that lifestyle. >> okay, so --
6:29 am
>> stephanie: huh? >> allowing gays in the boy scouts to serve in the leadership openly would lead to more child abuse? >> stephanie: right. right. >> with a catholic priest. >> what? >> what? >> stephanie: does he mean like head trauma? [♪ "jeopardy" theme music ♪] >> stephanie: because maybe when i got a lawn dart in my head that did it to me. >> that could be. [ applause ] >> well your brother hung you. >> stephanie: that could be. i have blamed it on him. i'm like it's your fault i'm a tomboy. because i only had a brother. my sisters were older. i'm like you made me gay. >> i'm sure he doesn't -- >> stephanie: that and -- >> he doesn't like that. >> stephanie: i wasn't a good tomboy, because i would think i would know to let go of the jart
6:30 am
when i threw it. >> where did your brother find a gay noose to hang you from? >> stephanie: i don't know. i'm thinking it would be a jart. my form was really good in throwing it, i just forgot to let it go. >> yeah. >> stephanie: arty lang and a san francisco 49er playing, chris culver. >> yeah. >> how about gay guys? >> i don't do the gay guys man. >> are there any on the 49ers. >> no. >> stop the tape! >> they got to get up out of there if they do. i can't be with that sweet stuff. >> they might be able to play well. >> no, you can't be in the locker room, nah. >> nice. ♪ you are an idiot, ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ♪ >> stephanie: yeah we're going
6:31 am
to counter that with somebody else that had some foughts yesterday in the world of football. twenty-nine minutes after the hour. right back on the "stephanie miller show." ♪
6:32 am
6:33 am
6:34 am
6:35 am
♪ >> announcer: stephanie miller. >> if i hadn't gone into microbiology, i would have probably gone into physics or ice dancing. >> stephanie: right. thirty-four minutes after the hour.
6:36 am
i'm having a super bowl party on sunday comprised of all people that don't watch football at all. it's just an excuse for a party. jim just replied to my invite. kickoff, as i'm told they call it in football, at 3:00. that's when it starts. and then i put go -- whoever is playing. [ applause ] >> so jim wrote back go niners score gets of basket goals. >> travis get in here. >> stephanie: t-bone. >> stephanie: everyone who has replied does note watch football. >> oh, wow. [ applause ] >> oh, the minnesota nikings punting has some advice for me. i said i don't care as long as
6:37 am
somebody dances with me when beyonce sings. >> you are wearing the t-shirt. because you are a beautifully unique sparkle pony. >> i'm emailed him and he said you should root for whoever has the prettier uniform. >> stephanie: i feel like since we're from california but now there's this [ censor bleep ]. who from san francisco would say no gays. >> yeah, good team to pick for a homophobe. >> i'm waiting for the team with
6:38 am
the purple uniforms. >> yes, the ravens never more. [♪ "world news tonight" theme ♪] >> stephanie: brendan [ inaudible ]. see, baltimore ravens linebacker. >> that's who chris clowe was defending. >> he is built. have you seen that guy? >> he did the no hate picture -- >> stephanie: how unusual. does that happen in sport a lot? are men built as they say. >> he must engage in sport. >> he is just the right height. >> stephanie: he wants to use the super bowl media as a platform to sound off on gay
6:39 am
equality. there is nothing gay about football, just because a man standing behind one man's butt -- nothing gay. >> stephanie: is there any other way to say good job other than butt patting? >> how about a tap on the shoulder. >> here's the manly way to do it -- >> right you guys punch each other. in what other workplace is buttocks cupping a way of saying nicely done. >> that happens at your parties stephfy. >> you make us do that. >> stephanie: well that's not technically the workplace. he wrote if brittany spears can
6:40 am
party up in vegas and get married on a whim and get it annulled the next day, why can't gay people get married? good for him. [ applause ] >> stephanie: yeah, he -- i guess there's a catholic father of like six on his team and he wrote an anti gay marriage thing, and he said it started the dialogue on the team or whatever -- but he said there are already gay players in the nfl i don't know what it will happen, but when it happens it will happening in the locker room. >> he is also big on the anti-bullying thing too. which is great for the young people out there. >> stephanie: yeah he said the young guys in the nfl now are more open-minded and progressive. and that is happening everywhere.
6:41 am
generationally you're fighting -- you know fighting a battle you are going to lose. >> i would worry less about gays than getting a concussion. >> stephanie: right, about getting hit by a 300-pound man. >> apparently players get bonuses for crippling players on the other team. >> stephanie: oh. did you see noted dr. [ censor bleep ] -- dr. phil. this is another football player i can't pronounce. >> manti te'o. >> stephanie: bless you again. right. so the guy -- okay. here is another name i can't
6:42 am
pronounce -- the guy -- that -- [ overlapping speakers ] >> the girl. >> stephanie: right. right. it was a guy. he has broken his silence saying he fell deeply romantically in love with -- and a lot of people thought there was a gay aspect to this -- >> but this guy doesn't say he is gay. >> he says he is ex-gay. >> stephanie: dr. phil said here we have a young man that fell deeply and romantically in love. i said are you gay? and he said when you put it that way, yes. [ laughter ] >> what way -- >> what other way would i put it? [ laughter ] >> stephanie: and then he caught himself and said i'm confused. did he say i'm exgay? >> he said he is recovering from homosexuality. >> stephanie: how is that going? other than falling deeply and
6:43 am
romantically in love with a football player. >> he is recovering. >> with the help of marcus bachmann. >> stephanie: nothing counts on line -- >> how do we know this? >> jodie foster. >> stephanie: apparently they had a lot of phone conversations and he had to disguise his voice -- did he sound like he could be a woman? >> yes he did. >> stephanie: it wasn't just online -- >> there is still something really fishy. >> stephanie: and then he said they broke up several times -- so they had a whole relationship on the phone -- >> for two years and they never met. >> right. right. the whole thing -- >> manti te'o makes enough money
6:44 am
to perhaps buy a plane ticket. >> stephanie: i would like to know something about this. >> i'm sure dr. phil will have something to say about it. >> stephanie: yeah you are right. it is very weird. >> there is something -- someone is keeping from us i think. >> stephanie: you think so? >> yeah. >> stephanie: how about you take out your organ for me. >> right away miss miller. [♪ organ music ♪] >> i'm going to open phones for you. >> stephanie: yes. [ laughter ] >> stephanie: the reverend robert gefris. has changed the way he talks about homosexuality from the pulpit. churches are essentially a business, and obviously
6:45 am
attendance has been dropping and dropping and dropping. it's a like politics. they still feel the same but they are trying to talk about it differently -- he no longer singles it out for special condemnation. >> he sort of lumps it in with murder -- >> stephanie: country singer chelly wright who is very gay -- >> and very pregnant. >> stephanie: yes. he says he usually talks about homosexuality within a bigger context of relationship between one man and one woman. this is increasing as main stream support for gay and lesbian issues increases. but the same story, support is
6:46 am
especially strong among young adults. a 2011 survey, 62% of adults support marriage equality. asked about the perception of religious groups alienating polls support this. i don't get this he says he is open to the possibility that sexual orientation has a basic that cannot be cured or prayed away. but it hasn't altered his belief that the bible teaches acting out homosexual desire is sinful. >> they are barbarians. they need to be disciplined!
6:47 am
>> stephanie: it's like telling a left-hand person stop it! [ buzzer ] >> that's what they used to do in catholic church -- >> stephanie: that thing. all i remember is plaid. >> but you can force yourself to write with the other hand but you are never going to be as effective with it -- >> then what is the point. >> stephanie: i could have sex with men. i wouldn't be as good at it. >> you have. [ laughter ] >> stephanie: yes. that's why many men begged me to go gay. [ laughter ] >> stephanie: forty-five minutes after the hour. right back on the "stephanie miller show." >> announcer: funny how? funny like she is a clown? like she's hear to amuse you? it's the "stephanie miller show." ♪ out for us.
6:48 am
alright, in 15 minutes we're going to do the young turks. i think the number one thing that viewers like about the young turks is that we're honest. they know that i'm not bs'ing them with some hidden agenda, actually supporting one party or the other. when the democrats are wrong, they know that i'm going to be the first one to call them out. they can question whether i'm right, but i think that the audience gets that this guy, to the best of his ability, is trying to look out for us.
6:49 am
6:50 am
6:51 am
he was a fashion icon living a beautiful life until a chance encounter took it all away. of all the hours in all his days, these are the ones you'll never forget.
6:52 am
♪ >> and now, ladies and gentlemen, matron -- >> announcer: stephanie miller. ♪ had a little motto, when you are good to momma, momma's good to you ♪ >> stephanie: you are trying to play songs that are going to make my hangover worse aren'ting you? i hate you. >> it's the friday morning dance party. >> stephanie: shhhhh. heads down everybody. >> silent reading time. >> stephanie: 1-800-steph-1-2 the phone number toll free from anywhere. deb in california, you are on the "stephanie miller show." hey, deb. >> caller: hey, love how are you
6:53 am
doing? >> stephanie: shhhhh. okay. go ahead. >> caller: i'm calling about that dumb john mccain, i think it's time that everybody that listens to momma and the mooks call their local and national media to talk about not wanting to see john mccain anymore. maybe even include lindsay graham. >> stephanie: yeah, deb who was it -- when you write republican from wherever someone wrote republican from the green room. he is so predictable. let me guess he is going to say he is troubled by something that obama has done. [♪ mysterious music ♪] >> stephanie: troubling. very troubling. exactly. >> trouble in trouble town. >> stephanie: exactly. >> i'm troubled. >> stephanie: deeply troubled about trouble. doug in missouri.
6:54 am
>> caller: hey, miss miller. >> stephanie: hello. >> caller: i just want to say that -- when it comes to -- when it comes to guns -- >> stephanie: right. >> caller: the government of small party says government should not interfere, but when it comes to the constitutionally adjudicated abortion every way around is perfectly fine. and you know that scream button you have on your box? >> stephanie: yes. >> caller: that's where i am right now. [ screaming ] >> stephanie: yes. lawrence o'donnell says you only believe in a women's right to choose whatever gun she wants. that's the only right you choose
6:55 am
to give a woman. paula good morning. >> caller: i was very upset when you said you weren't going to ruth for the niners because of what chris culver said -- >> stephanie: i didn't say that. >> caller: well, yes, you did. but the whole team from the owners down, jim harbaugh said months ago he would be happy to have a gay player. other players on the team have said -- >> stephanie: oh, yeah i didn't mean to imply that the whole team is responsible for what he said -- >> caller: well, they sat him down, and i think he has learned a lesson. he's talked about -- well i don't know he's -- he's -- he went to south carolina -- >> that's not an excuse. >> caller: but i think he has
6:56 am
learned. they sat him down and talked to him and i think it has been an educational experience -- >> stephanie: has he apologized? >> caller: many times, yeah. and some of it sounded sincere, and others sounded scripted but he has talked many times, and it sounds like he has actually learned something -- >> stephanie: yeah you know, paula i think it is good that this has become such a story, because even listening to that audio where him, it sounds like such a throw-back that kind of reflexive homophobia that you hear in these macho circles but in the past you know? >> caller: i don't think he has actually ever thought about it and once this came out, i think the coach and other people have sat down with him, and i think he has begun to realize what a stupid thing it was to say, and
6:57 am
of all places san francisco. >> stephanie: yeah. >> caller: but, you know, the -- the team has been really good about that. and i might point out that while that one player from the ravens is wonderful, of course he went to school and grew up in northern california some of his teammates were against marriage equality, so it goes -- just both -- just route for whichever team you want to route for -- >> stephanie: right. i have always loved the 49ers, i have to say, and i'm from california. and i don't think he has apologized publicly? >> yes he has. he has been sat down in front of reporters. and he had tears in his eyes and he said that is not in his heart. >> stephanie: all right.
6:58 am
this is a hilarious letter -- >> yeah, you sent that to me but with no instructions. so i had no idea what to do with it. >> stephanie: why did i second it to you? >> for a laugh. you might just say post this. >> stephanie: oh, could you post this? >> i sure will. >> stephanie: i'm sorry, when i sent this i was -- >> drunk. >> stephanie: the way these people talk about entitlements drives us all instain. republican senator from wyoming called senior citizens the greedy estrogen ration. patty myers, please and thank you, a career school teacher in montana wrote a response. hey, alan let's get a few things straight as a career politician you have been on the public dole
6:59 am
teat for years. i have been playing zone associates since i was 16. i'm now 63. and my money was tucked away in a safe account for decades until you pukes decided to turn social security into a ponzi scheme that would make even the worst proud. now you and your shil commission are proposing to move the goal post yet again. i and millions of other americans have been paying in medicare since day one and you want to change the rules of the game. goes on and on it is hill tear louse. >> i just did post it. [ applause ] >> stephanie: see how that happens.
7:00 am
any way, good stuff. fridays with sexy liberal john fugelsang next on the stephanie miller. >> that's right. ♪
7:01 am
[♪ theme music ♪] >> stephanie: hello tv world, hour number 2, sexy liberal john fugelsang coming up next. and jacki schechner this will shock you --
7:02 am
[♪ "world news tonight" theme ♪] >> stephanie: as republicans have always been so helpful in health care. >> okay. >> stephanie: idaho republican compares obamacare to -- >> holocaust. >> stephanie: holocaust. >> i saw that. that's a reasonable comparison. >> stephanie: yes. >> what the victims or the insurance companies? >> stephanie: right. and who can't agree on that? >> they have had it so rough all of these years. >> it's stretch. >> maybe we should put the insurance companies in some sort of ghetto. >> stephanie: yes. she compared obamacare to the jews boarding the trains. [ buzzer ] >> oh, wow. >> stephanie: here she is jacki schechner. >> good morning, everybody. happy friday. i cannot believe this is a thing. her raw doe rivera says he is
7:03 am
considering a run for the senate. new jersey hasn't elected a republican to the senate since 1972, but he says he sees a new reciteized republican party in a state like new jersey. he says he is fiscally conservative, but socially liberal. he believes in immigration reform, gay marriage, and the right to choose and if that doesn't get him kicked off of fox, what would. his democratic challenger would be frank laudenberg or cory booker. we added 157,000 jobs last month. and the numbers for november and december have been revised up. we have higher unemployment numbers for those two months.
7:04 am
it is now president obama's turn to sign the bill that enforces our debt limit for the next few months. it lets the treasury keep borrowing to pay our bills and avoid default. the house passed the bill last week as a way of buying time and not having to raise the ceiling higher than its current limit. we're back with more show after the break. stay with us. ♪ those types are coming on to me all the time now. >> she gets the comedians laughing... >> that's hilarious! >> ...and the thinkers thinking. >> okay, so there's wiggle-room in the ten commandments is what you're telling me. >> you would rather deal with ahmadinejad then me. >> absolutely! >> and so would mitt romeny. >> she's joy behar. >> and the best part is that current will let me say anything. what the hell were they thinking? >> only on current tv.
7:05 am
what we need are people prepared for the careers of our new economy. by 2025 we could have 20 million jobs without enough college graduates to fill them. that's why at devry university we're teaming up with companies like cisco to help make sure everyone is ready with the know-how we need for a new tomorrow. [ male announcer ] make sure america's ready. make sure you're ready. at devry.edu/knowhow. ♪ ♪
7:06 am
7:07 am
[♪ theme music ♪] >> announcer: ladies and gentlemen, it's the "stephanie miller show"! ♪ i'm walking on sunshine, woe ho ♪ ♪ i'm walking on sunshine, woe ho ♪ ♪ it's time to feel good ♪ ♪ hey all right now ♪ ♪ it's time to feel good ♪
7:08 am
>> stephanie: it is the "stephanie miller show." welcome to it. six minutes -- >> barely. >> stephanie: oooooooooh. 1-800-steph-1-2 the phone number toll free from anywhere. this show has become the time in between parties. >> apparently, yes. >> stephanie: okay. stephaniemiller.com the website, you can email us all there. you guyed picked a bar question walk to tonight that's why. >> damn right. >> stephanie: 1-800-steph-1-2 the phone number toll free from anywhere. it's friday. ♪ fugelsang ♪ ♪ fugelsang ♪ >> yay! >> stephanie: good morning john fugelsang. >> good morning, kids. how are ya? >> stephanie: live from the
7:09 am
new york bureau. >> nice to be here. i missed you on monday, steph. >> thank you for filling in. >> several people have emailed me that i guess whole foods had a recall of some salmon. >> stephanie: yeah but i didn't get it there. >> i think i know where you got it, and they may be the same purveyor of salmon. >> stephanie: oh no! [♪ dramatic music ♪] >> stephanie: did you hear we had a rather major announcement this morning that involves you. >> i'm very excited about this major announcement. >> stephanie: but you can't do anything about it until two hours from now. >> hey, chicago, the stephanie miller sexy liberal comedy tour is returning to the chicago
7:10 am
theater on april 13th. tickets are available at ticket master.com. come see the tour. >> who can argue with that. >> sexy liberal comedy tour on april 13th. suite home chicago is about to get a little more sugar from momma. >> stephanie: yay! [ applause ] >> very exciting. i'm bringing a whole new set of jokes. >> wow! >> stephanie: oh, ah. and you can also see john fugelsang every night right here on the current television network, hosting "viewpoint." >> yes, you can. we have to get stephanie miller on it. >> stephanie: exactly. >> who are you having on tonight john?
7:11 am
>> nobody. we do monday through thursday. so i get to live like a real human tonight. i'm proud to work with their staffs and the little monster had me up at 5:30 this morning. it's a great way to hate being alive. >> stephanie: awesome. we were talking about what's his name -- the other guy -- >> manti te'o. >> stephanie: yeah, take a listen to this -- >> chris culver. >> how about gay guys any of them approach you? >> i don't do the gay guys. >> are there any on the 49ers? >> stop the tape. >> can we stop the tape. >> can't deal with that sweet stuff. >> but they might be able to play well. >> nah.
7:12 am
in the locker room nah. >> stephanie: so he has since apologized, john but -- >> you are implying this is homophobia in professional sports? >> stephanie: i know. >> i thought his apology was very sincere and he said that was what was in his head but not in his heart, and he seems to really feel bad about it. >> that's what i'm hearing. >> he got a get out of hate free card this time. >> stephanie: all right. any reverend says. mike in chicago, you are on the "stephanie miller show" with john. hello, mike. >> caller: hi how are you? >> stephanie: good, go ahead. >> caller: i want to start by saying i'm not against homosexuality in the least. >> okay. >> caller: i just feel letting homosexuals into the boy scouts is perpetuating a problem. >> stephanie: how so? >> caller: i feel if a man is
7:13 am
attract today a young boy -- >> stephanie: that's pedophilia -- >> caller: he is attracted to the same sex, that's not homosexual? >> but sir you know every country who documents pedestrian feelia, they identify themselves young boys right? >> caller: i think as a parent it's our obligation to try to avoid letting our kids get hurt. >> if you are a gay man are you going to risk going to jail by molest somebody in their boy scout troop with people like you scrutinizing --
7:14 am
>> stephanie: wait you disagree with homosexuality among adults -- >> caller: no, the animal world they say it is natural. >> stephanie: right, homosexuality does exist in every species. >> caller: show me the female animals that have sex for themselves for pleasure? >> giraffes do. >> stephanie: so only male animals. >> caller: and female also. animals have sex with each other just for pleasure. >> stephanie: yes. >> yeah, there's a thing called the internet you can learn it yourself. >> caller: that is not true. >> why don't you like homosexuals for religion reasons? >> caller: no i'm against homosexuality because of what happens when young boys get
7:15 am
molested -- >> but that is pedophilia. >> caller: but you can also say that -- okay let's say a boy is 15 years old, and a 60 year old man from manbla wants to have sex with him -- >> man bla has about ten members nationwide. >> why should we not let you around young girls? >> because i'm not sick. >> i see. >> caller: i'm not saying all homosexuals are going to molest young boys. >> stephanie: oh, thank you. >> i think chris just poked a hole in your logic? >> these men are attracted to the same sex -- >> stephanie: are you saying that all pedophiles are gay? >> caller: no any man that
7:16 am
molests a young boy is gay. he may not admit it because he is attracted to the male genitalia -- >> you are attracted to female genitalia, so why should we let you around young girls? >> caller: look there's plenty of men that go after young girls -- >> sir -- >> caller: i'm saying you should try to avoid the situation when you can, and then the situation that -- if it is going to happen, it will happen when men are around young men. >> when you are around young girls i'm keeping my eye on you. >> again, sir, you can look this up, it's married men, generally heterosexual identified men who do these things with young boys. if you are a gay man and you want to be in the boy scouts do you really think with all of
7:17 am
those eyeballs on you, you are going to take that opportunity to break the law? >> all of these priests molest -- >> the pope has tried to blame it on gay priests too. gay priests by and large have boyfriends. okay? it's men who identify as straight. this is in europe australia. look at the records of this. >> caller: a man attracted to a young man isn't gay? >> no -- >> stephanie: but you are equating pedophilia with dating and relationships. pedophilia is not a relationship. it's a crime. >> caller: i'm relating homosexual predators with young boys. >> do you support letting gay troops serve openly in the military? >> caller: yeah, i don't have a
7:18 am
problem with that. a guy who is gay can fight as well as a straight guy -- he would probably fight differently. >> stephanie: how would he fight differently? >> limp wristed. >> caller: that was a joke. there would probably be a lot more slap. >> now you are just making up stuff to conform to your own bias. >> caller: i don't hate gay guys -- >> stephanie: how do they fight better than straight guys then? you said probably better? >> caller: because -- i equate it like women they feel because they are looked at differently, they are going to try harder. >> stephanie: oh, i see. >> by your logic we have to keep children away from adults all the time because you never know when someone is really gay
7:19 am
living a lie. is that right? >> caller: yeah. >> i never know where a guy is living a guy and has been waiting to violate my child. so we should arm our kids with a glock. >> caller: no, i would never let my children be alone with a priest for a long time because you never know. >> what you just said is up with of the most insinly idiotic things i have ever heard. everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. >> herp derp. >> what is that from? >> stephanie: john, you not being in studio with us you missed jim ward throwing a gay
7:20 am
grenade. >> more wrist action means more distance. >> he sounds like a catholic who is in the process of evolution. it sounds like he is struggling with his own denthty as a catholic. this is our bigotry clings on. you have to try to cling to any little bit of bias to keep these people down. >> stephanie: john when we come back, we were talking about reverend jeffris, because theyry trying to get young people to come back to church, they are trying to sound more tolerant. while feeling the same way about it. i don't know how you square that. >> no way, dawg. >> stephanie: we'll be right back on the "stephanie miller show." announce for a good time call now. 1-800-steph-1-2. ♪
7:21 am
7:22 am
7:23 am
7:24 am
he was a fashion icon living a beautiful life until a chance encounter took it all away. of all the hours in all his days, these are the ones you'll never forget.
7:25 am
♪ ♪ open the door get on the floor -- >> announcer: stephanie miller. ♪ -- the dinosaur ♪ >> stephanie: it is the "stephanie miller show." welcome to it. twenty-three minutes after the hour. i think you are right, i think the salmon that i ate that i got the food poisoning, it was not whole foods -- don't worry i
7:26 am
already recalled the salmon out of my ass. >> i have a letter about the last caller. for what it is worth boy scouts instituted a policy where children are not alone with one adult. >> stephanie: there you go. let's go to [ inaudible ]. >> my son is very politically active, very liberal, and a huge jock. >> and he is swift enough to know that girls hate homophobes. >> that's right. there is hope. >> stephanie: exactly. word. i was asking before the break,
7:27 am
the churches are looking at the same polling that we're all looking at, the younger and younger you go like you just said, the homophobia is just not cool. and now they are just trying to talk about it differently. >> knowing gay people makes young people hate them less. dammit. >> stephanie: chely wright says i don't seek to be tolerated. and that's what reverend jeffris is doing. >> i think those raised religious now considers himself spiritual because they are turned off by fat men in funny hats. >> stephanie: how does god make
7:28 am
mistakes? >> now god sentences them to hell for no reason. and he is trying to put it into a larger framework. he is still saying it is evil. it's still the same hate with a different hat. >> stephanie: and they don't look cute in that hat. toni in long beach. hi toni. >> caller: hey, girl, what i have to say is you know what, there are always going to be people that don't like you. as a black person if i tripped on every racist that i met i would be insane by now. and i guess what i would say to the gay community, like you say over time things change.
7:29 am
sanatorium still hasn't apologized to the president, and let's face it he called him the n-word. that's just the way it is. there will always be some people -- there will always be poverty in the world -- >> stephanie: i think the great equalizer is age. you get too old to give a [ censor bleep ] about what anybody thinks about anything. i keep thinking back and i think why did i care? >> caller: exactly. now you can be the biggest n word you ever want to know but you can't touch me or discriminate against me legally, and that's what i would say about gay marriage you can't
7:30 am
get somebody to accept what they don't want to accept, but when you stick to the legality of it there is nothing they can do. when you get past all of the personal and all of the little hurt feelings or whatever stick with the law. >> stephanie: yep. >> caller: okay. thank you. >> stephanie: it doesn't matter how many people hate you, because the amount that i love you makes up for all of it. >> caller: you gave me hope stephanie. >> stephanie: me too, toni. i love her so much. i just wish the president would say that, if i was going to trip every time somebody said something racist about me -- i wish he would use that expression. i'm not tripping. >> cold tripping. >> stephanie: right.
7:31 am
twenty-nine minutes after the hour. right back with more with fugelsang on the >> announcer: it's the "stephanie miller show." ♪
7:32 am
7:33 am
7:34 am
7:35 am
♪ >> announcer: stephanie miller. >> you are not a jaguar. >> she's a cougar. >> stephanie: it is the "stephanie miller show." welcome to it. thirty-four minutes after the hour. this the midst of the fridays with the fugelsang who i
7:36 am
believe will be taking over for me shortly when i pass out -- [ farting sounds ] >> stephanie: the recall is not complete, what it is chris -- salmon with listeria. chuck hagel yesterday at the hearings. >> we must use all of our tools of american power to protect our citizens and our interest. america must engage in the world not retreat from the world. >> stephanie: did you see the angriest leprecon. >> the only way he could look more unhappy is if he was
7:37 am
married to john mccain. he was slamming hagel for being wrong about the surge, which was during the iraq war which mccain was wrong about. i love deb called him extreme and far to the left of obama. >> it was completely insane. chuck hagel among with mccain both voted for donald rumsfeld to be secretary of defense. >> stephanie: here is the angriest leprecon yesterday. >> do you stand by those comments senator hagel? >> senator i standing by them as i made them -- >> were you right? were you correct in your assessment? >> i would defer to the judgment of history to -- >> this committee deserves your judgment as to whether you were
7:38 am
right or wrong about the surge. >> i'll explain why i made those comments -- >> i want to know yes or no. >> the surge assists in the objective -- >> will you please answer the question. were you correct or incorrect when you said that the surge would be the most dangerous foreign policy blunder in this country since vietnam. were you correct or incorrect, yes or no? >> my reference -- >> are you going to answer the question, senator hagel. the question is were you right or wrong? >> well -- >> i would like the answer whether you are right or wrong and then you are free to elaborate. >> well, i'm not going to give you a yes or no answer. >> let the record show he refused to answer that question now please go ahead. >> well, if you would like me to explain -- >> i actually would like a yes
7:39 am
or no answer. >> i'm not going to give you a yes or no. i think it is much more complicate than that. i will let history answer that. >> can we go through a few reasons why that was disgusting. number one chuck hagel if he gets this job he can't speak freely, which was that the surge was mostly bribed because they were the people killing our trips. number 2 this was all personal animosity here, and john mccain walked around with chuck hagel saying what a great secretary of defense chuck hagel would make. in 2008 hagel didn't endorse him, but his wife endorsed
7:40 am
barack obama. this is personal pettiness. he can't come out and say things like why the surge didn't actually work; that it was all bribes. that's how the whole thing was pulled off. this was john mccain trying to make himself look statesman like beating the crap out of his friend not to mention a previous infantry man. >> stephanie: exactly. >> did i miss anything? >> stephanie: no, i think you like it. >> i also like hearing that chuck hagel is a jew hater from beck stan. >> stephanie: exactly. he repeated his regrets about using the term jewish lobby. he said he should not used those words. he said i'm sorry and i regret it. i should have said influence would have been more
7:41 am
appropriate. >> if chuck hagel said i'm not going to let any foreign lobby push me around, then he would have applauded his patriotism, but in fairness to lindsay graham, it seem like chuck hagel was coached heavily by barack obama's first debate coach. >> yeah he wasn't all that good yesterday? >> he was like an s&m player who forget his safety word. >> stephanie: the safety word is always [ inaudible ] >> according to geraldo rivera. the future senator. [ buzzer ]
7:42 am
>> stephanie: how much money does he have in his campaign vault? oh it's empty. here is the angriest leprecon yesterday. john mccain. >> history has already made a judgment about the surge sir, and you are on the wrong side of it, and your refusal to answer whether you were right or wrong is going to have an impact on my decision to vote for you. >> stephanie: john mccain was the biggest proponent of this war. so obviously there is a larger issue here. >> you are exactly right. chuck hagel got a real grilling and mccain was skeptical on hagel's judgment on national security, and this is the guy who felt like sarah palin was
7:43 am
qualified to lead the free world. he came out against the iraq war for no other reason that it was a gigantic mess. >> stephanie: republicans questioned hagel about a study he authored that called for eventual elimination of all nuclear arms. which makes him just like reagan. [ bell chimes ] [ applause ] >> and they piled on him for that, because he doesn't want us to be able to destroy the world a 27th time. >> stephanie: exactly. chia you are on with john. >> caller: i feel kind of bad because i wanted to talk more about the homophobic back pedalling that is going on. >> do it please. >> john talked about chris culver and accepting his apology, and i'm not sure that i really buy it. a lot of these sports stars they
7:44 am
do or say something offensive and then they have to back pedal, and they have somebody to taylor these remarks for them and sound like they are contrite and really don't feel this way. somebody like chris culver he is young. he is 24 and he probably grew up in a culture where homophobia was accepted the football culture. >> stephanie: right. >> caller: but for him to say i thought that in my head but i don't feel it in my heart. that sounds to me like a kid getting caught and he is back pedalling because he got caught not because he feels bad about it. >> he said when he saw it in print he was very upset that he said those words. and if he was a real homophobe he would stick to it and not
7:45 am
apologize for the sake of not looking soft around his teammates. >> caller: if you are going to be a big got, be a bigot. they say things like i don't hate gay people i just hate what gayness does to people. >> yeah, they are not gay they are just confused. >> stephanie: i'm pretty clear. >> caller: yeah, especially in the locker room you are equating what your ideas about masculinity and what homosexuality is. and there is a big disparity between what they have been taught and what exactly ex cysts. >> of course. men are pack animals. >> caller: they really are. >> one of the greatest gifts to
7:46 am
me was i never fit in with most of my peer groups as a kid and it forced me to become an individual. and thank god for that. >> stephanie: yeah. john is the man he is today because so many guys called him the f-word and through gum in his hair. >> that is true. and really we talk about how bigotry is learned, also 90% of bigotry is conformity. >> i agree with that. >> that's being a pack animal. >> i agree with everything. >> you are so right about everything. >> stephanie: sexy liberal john fugelsang, momma -- because we're honest on this show i'm having a gastrointestinal situation, and i'm passing the baton to you. >> yes. just stop talking about it. you are ruining all of my
7:47 am
fantasies. [ laughter ] >> his lystiria fantasies. >> stephanie: yes, and an hour and 15 minutes from now, tickets go on sale for chicago. and last year we set a record for sales. and rolland sexy liberal tour director, as informed me that this is only you me and hal, and the presale is already 20% ahead of last year's presale. >> stephanie: oh, my god. for the people -- the -- the people in the -- i don't know what the special group is for chicago theater. >> oh, right. patrons of the chicago theater. >> stephanie: no. >> subscribers. season ticket holders.
7:48 am
>> vipers! bags of vipers! [ laughter ] >> stephanie: don't step on a bag of vipers on the way to the theater. get some tickets for the show. all right. april 13th chicago theater, very, very exciting. john is going to take over for me because -- >> you are pooping right now. >> she wore her brown pants. [ farting sounds ] >> stephanie: all right. john fugelsang and the rest of the crew i'll see you monday on the "stephanie miller show." >> announcer: fresh republican outrage, you keep listening. she'll make more. it's the "stephanie miller show." ♪ his ability, is trying to look out for us. alright, in 15 minutes we're going to do the young turks. i think the number one thing
7:49 am
that viewers like about the young turks is that we're honest. they know that i'm not bs'ing them with some hidden agenda, actually supporting one party or the other. when the democrats are wrong, they know that i'm going to be the first one to call them out. they can question whether i'm right, but i think that the audience gets that this guy, to the best of his ability, is trying to look out for us. but when joint pain and stiffness from psoriatic arthritis hit even the smallest things became difficult. i finally understood what serious joint pain is like. i talked to my rheumatologist and he prescribed enbrel. enbrel can help relieve pain, stiffness, and stop joint damage. because enbrel, etanercept suppresses your immune system, it may lower your ability to fight infections. serious, sometimes fatal events including infections tuberculosis lymphoma, other cancers, and nervous system and blood disorders have occurred. before starting enbrel your doctor should test you for tuberculosis
7:50 am
and discuss whether you've been to a region where certain fungal infections are common. don't start enbrel if you have an infection like the flu. tell your doctor if you're prone to infections, have cuts or sores have had hepatitis b have been treated for heart failure, or if, while on enbrel, you experience persistent fever, bruising, bleeding, or paleness. [ phil ] get back to the things that matter most. ask your rheumatologist if enbrel is right for you. [ doctor ] enbrel, the number one biologic medicine prescribed by rheumatologists.
7:51 am
7:52 am
he was a fashion icon living a beautiful life until a chance encounter took it all away. of all the hours in all his days, these are the ones you'll never forget. ♪
7:53 am
>> announcer: stephanie miller. ♪ well shake it up baby, now ♪ ♪ shake it up baby ♪ ♪ twist and shout ♪ ♪ come on come on come on baby now ♪ ♪ come on and work it on out ♪ >> this is the "stephanie miller show"! i'm john fugelsang, filling in for steph because she had to leave before she provided us with more grotesque images of her intestines. [ laughter ] >> john: i wish we could just play that song all day long. >> and it was the best scene in farris buler's day off.
7:54 am
>> john: charlie sheen's career may have peaked at that . point >> that's true. >> john: karen good morning. you are on the steph show. >> caller: hi, john. i love the show, but i wanted to share a story about something that happened in my life. my son is 25 now, but when he -- when he was two, i was president of our local theater group, and we had a float in the 4th of july parade. unfortunately i was sick but i had to be in the parade, so i had my son with me and he was about a year and a half almost two years old. after the parade i was going to go home and suffer in silence, and a friend of mine in the theater group who happened to be
7:55 am
gay, said he was having a press releasety -- >> there's a gay person in your theater group! [♪ dramatic music ♪] >> they are taking over the arts too! >> caller: i know. >> john: next it will be fashion. i don't want to hear this. >> caller: any way we went to his house afterwards. and i just went in his room and laid down and he took care of my son. now he -- he changed his diaper. he fed him. he played with him. he laid down with him and -- to get him to take a nap. i mean this was way above and beyond the call of any friendship. >> john: wow. >> and at the end of the day when i was getting ready to leave, i felt a little better and after offering to drive us home, i said i'm going to be okay. and he said this is such a joy for me, because my sister has a
7:56 am
son who is almost three, and her husband won't let me take care of him or be around my nephew without one of them being with them. and i said why? and he said because he thinks i'll molest my nephew and i said honey that's a pedophile, that's not gay. and he said karen you are one of the few people that knows this. this was twenty-three years ago. now i would have thought in twenty-three years that people would have found this out -- >> john: many have karen. we have come a long way in 20 years, love acceptance and intelligence has made great strides. >> caller: but then you get like this clown that you had on earlier with the boy scouts and it just makes me want to pull my
7:57 am
hair out. >> john: yeah but ignorance is the square root of bigotry, right? and people just don't know better. and there's horrible gay people and there's awful gay people and depressed, and intoxicate gay people too. >> caller: yeah. but it's education, you know? >> john: yeah, it's education, love acceptance and it's like really? you really think that -- this poor friend of yours, his sister really thought that her brother was going to take advantage of her baby -- >> caller: he sister's husband. >> john: but she allowed it to go on. and it's tragic. and if any gay person ever does interfere with a child, they deserve the full force of the
7:58 am
law -- >> just like any straight person. >> john: exactly. and no one is worried about straight people despite the fact that every society that keeps records, the overwhelming majority of pedophiles are heterosexual identified males. >> caller: that's true. and my son is one of the most tolerant people i have ever met. >> john: that's great. carolyn is calling from michigan with a somewhat different point of view. >> caller: good morning, i just heard the last caller and i heard the caller before, and i think you guys were a little haron him. i understand -- and i definitely myself am not homophobic but when you are talking about children -- you know, i would --
7:59 am
>> john: you have a phobia. >> caller: no, i don't. >> john: if you are afraid to have your kids around gay people that's a bit of a phobia, right? >> caller: well and we're painting a brood brush -- >> john: the caller you thought we were being harsh on was the one that did that. >> caller: to me it sounded like he was a concerned parent who would prefer to ere on the side of caution. and if we save one child it's worth it -- >> then we should keep him away all girls -- >> caller: i understand that as well. like you said just what you mentioned most heterosexual males, and we can tell. >> john: so -- so what we're talking about is a blanket policy of not letting your
8:00 am
children be around any assaults that are not you unless they are supervised. >> that's what it sounds like. >> john: all right. we're going to break, we'll be right back on the "stephanie miller show." ♪
8:01 am
[♪ theme music ♪] >> hello, current tv world, stephanie had to leaf, that's why that chair right over there is empty.
8:02 am
but we do still have jacki schechner in the current news center. >> that was my chair. the plan went horribly awry. >> that's right. >> and we have john fugelsang in the new york bureau, so he'll take over for the next hour. >> did you people not get the memo? >> well, we started the week with the four of us and we'rening the week with the four of us. i like this. although we do hope steph is okay. it's just more fun to kid about it. >> exactly. we have markos moulitsas coming up at the bottom of the hour, but right now it's jacki schechner. >> good morning, everybody. happy friday to you. the sec says that all together candidates parties and outside groups spent $7 billion on the 2012 election cycle. it is record-breaking but not surprising. the senator for responsive
8:03 am
politics predicted in october that the total tab would be $6 billion. candidates spent $3.2 million, party committees like spent $2 billion, so did outside groups and super pacs although the sec is still calculating those somebodies and they could be higher. the sec says this is the first time that outside groups have outspend political parties. the commission has had to process some 11 million pages of documents related to the 2012 spending, kate only expect more money and more paperwork next time around. the individual contribution limit has gone up. you can now give $2,600 per candidate per cycle, and $32,400 to a political party. turkey's interior minister says the suicide bomber who detonated
8:04 am
an explosion outside of the u.s. embassy is likely to be connected to a militant group. the ap reports the embassy is heavily protected. a state department spokes woman says it is working closely with turkish police but is now warning citizens to stay away from diplomatic >> that's hilarious! >> ...and the thinkers thinking. >> okay, so there's wiggle-room in the ten commandments is what you're telling me. >> you would rather deal with ahmadinejad then me. >> absolutely! >> and so would mitt romeny. >> she's joy behar. >> and the best part is that current will let me say anything. what the hell were they thinking? >> only on current tv.
8:05 am
8:06 am
8:07 am
[♪ theme music ♪] >> announcer: ladies and gentlemen, it's the "stephanie miller show"! ♪ i'm walking on sunshine woe ho ♪ ♪ i'm walking on sunshine woe ho ♪ ♪ it's time to feel good ♪ ♪ hey all right now ♪
8:08 am
♪ it's time to feel good ♪ >> john: this is the "stephanie miller show." i'm john fugelsang filling in for steph. she will illin'. along with chris and jim in the burbank branch. i want to take a moment to give special congratulations to jim nabors. >> surprise surprise surprise! >> john: he married his long time partner this seattle. jim is 82. we wish him a long and happy life. >> same age as my mother. >> john: is that true? >> no, that was just a line. >> john: if same-sex marriage was legal in may berry, but i'm sure that they would not have
8:09 am
arrested gomer mainly because otis the drunk was always in the only jail cell. he is 82 but his partner is 64 which makes jim a cradle robber. by the other weird thing is they live in hawaii but vacation in seattle. if you grew up when i did you would see the commercials for jim nabors albums. his marriage by all accounts is traditional stable mon nothing mouse relationship. and it just happens to be gay. so this made me proud to be an
8:10 am
american this week. once we get marriage intervention out of the way, we can start working on otis the drunk. >> my parents heard him sing in a place that i ended up doing stand up at years later. >> john: really? go on youtube and search for jim nabors singing. it was one of the few times they let him sing on the show. and hearing him in military dress singing "the impossible dream" is indescribably moving. >> you know what else will make your day? if in less than an hour from now you get yourself some tickets to
8:11 am
to -- sexy liberal chicago. >> a well intoxicated media may be necessary for the success of the sexy liberal. >> that's right the stephanie miller sexy liberal comedy tour is coming to the windy city. if you haven't witnessed this epic, record-breaking comedy tour before, and even if you have, do it again, because -- ♪ you ain't seen nothing yet ♪ >> live at the chicago theater. ♪ i'm sexy and i know it ♪ >> on april 13th hal sparks john fugelsang, and the darling of progressive media, stephanie miller are bringing a whole new level of sexy liberal comedy to chicago. live at the chicago theater. for your tickets go to ticketmaster.com. >> no background check required.
8:12 am
>> and those tickets go on sale 11:00 central time. >> john: the chicago theater is a really magical place. we have had a couple of great shows there over the years, but this one is going to be great, because it is our first show post election. the election was a lot of fun but now we're back to dealing with real bad guys, bad guys who are really trying to stop democracy and the will of the american voter and bring us back to their idea of what america should have been in the 50s and never really was. i think the steaks are much higher now than they were prior to the election. so please come on down. >> i might try to make it there. >> john: oh i hope you would. >> because i love chicago. and i haven't been there since 2000 -- >> i haven't been back since the
8:13 am
'90s. >> it's a gorgeous theater too. and are we playing with the chicago blues all-stars? >> i'm sure they will make an appearance. >> john: that's a real party. after the show we had in d.c. two weeks ago, which i thought was stephanie's best performances april, so come on down. now let's go to these calls. let's go to sarah in madison. you have a comment about the boy scouts. >> caller: yeah, i'm a scout leader, so for some odd reason i was yelling at the radio when the first gentlemen called -- >> i wonder why? >> caller: yeah, give me a break. we have a campout this weekend,
8:14 am
i'm a heterosexual female and i'm attached to boys so i shouldn't be allowed to go? >> john: my god you are a risk to all of us. >> caller: i was really torn this year about volunteering again, because i knew they were doing the conversation about whether or not to hope up the homosexual thing and it just amazes me. >> john: homophobia is like wholesome hate. it's hard to let go of that. people don't want to stop feeling like they are better than someone else. your parents were a product of their time, so keep the best and drop the rest, right? >> caller: i'm into that one. >> john: word. thank you very much, and if i ever put my kid in scouts i
8:15 am
hope he is around you. now tracy in madison. good morning. you are on the "stephanie miller show." >> caller: ho, hi. i'm sorry. good morning. one word for stephanie. immodeium. >> yes. >> caller: i am a mom. i have an eight year old, and he was a scout, and we took him out after they reiterated that stance. but i wanted to take him out because i -- i would not put him in something that didn't allow black people or didn't allow kids with disabilities to be it and i didn't feel comfortable reit taiting that to my son, and those last two callers, that just broke my heart that they would think that way. when we first moved here and our kids started going to school, we
8:16 am
noticed right away there were a lot of same-sex parent families there. and my husband is like we're going to have to research how to talk to the kids about this. my kids are in middle school now, and they have never mentioned it. they just think that that's the way things are, and i'm really proud of that. >> john: that's great. so who are you going to teach them to hate now? >> caller: pedophiles. >> there you go. good answer. >> caller: saying that you don't want your children to be in cub scouts or because you're worried that because people are gay they are going to try to be a pedophile, is just bigotry that is based on a stereo type that is completely incorrect. and it's like saying you won't let your child be around black people because then they will get lazy and shiftless.
8:17 am
>> john: when i grew up i was half southern half new york and down south i would be around people who said the n word but they had black friends. and up north they wouldn't say the n word at all, but they said don't go in that area they are all black people. >> caller: and we want our kids i think to be better than us. >> john: yeah. in my case that won't be hard but yeah. [ laughter ] >> caller: thanks so much, hope steph feels better. >> john: thank you too. jeff tweets after my parents divorced at age nine i lived next door to a gay couple. >> yay.
8:18 am
>> john: ray in texas. >> caller: good morning. i'm so excited to talk to you mr. fugelsang. >> john: i'm so excited to talk to you. >> caller: my head was just spinning when cub scout guy was on the phone. what we're not looking at a the science of it. they have a mapped the brains of homosexuals, heterosexuals, and pedophiles. and there is no difference between the homosexual and the heterosexual brain. but in the pedophiles any neurons are not connecting and that's what makes us deal with the consequences of our actions. >> john: that's fascinating. >> caller: yeah, and they don't specifically pick a gender. what it's about -- and let's just call this rape. it's about control, and
8:19 am
seduction and power. it has nothing to do with sexuality. >> that's right. >> caller: and i wanted to make one quick point about the intolerance of homophobia, i have a 19-year-old son and we live in rural texas and what i'm finding with their generation is they are not homophobic, and the reason is they are all pro pot and anti-religion and all of this other stuff, and they don't want people telling them what to do so they don't care about the homophobia, because they don't want to force their stuff on other people. >> john: exactly. more and more it's like i don't even know if i want to call myself liberal i say i aspire to be liberal. if you look up the word liberal, it is pretty open and shut.
8:20 am
>> caller: i'm an independent liberal dem-republ-crat. >> there you go. >> caller: republicans aren't the bad guys it's the tea partiers. >> john: exactly. ray we have to go to a break. you were delightful. >> she was awesome. >> john: and foxy. >> did you just say foxy? >> john: yes, i did. i'm bringing foxy back dammit. >> now. >> john: martha raddatz joins us very shortly. this is the "stephanie miller show." >> wow yes yes, i love it.
8:21 am
>> announcer: it's the "stephanie miller show."
8:22 am
8:23 am
8:24 am
he was a fashion icon living a beautiful life until a chance encounter took it all away. of all the hours in all his days, these are the ones you'll never forget.
8:25 am
♪ ♪ i don't know what you done to me, but i know this much is true ♪ >> announcer: stephanie miller. ♪ i want to do bad things with you ♪ >> john: that's a great song, isn't it? >> i love it. >> john: terrific opening credit. true blood. >> john: a show that has gotten
8:26 am
better every season. >> i don't know about that. it is a little convoluted. >> john: it has always been convoluted, but what they were trying to do with the fontaine character last year -- or -- who is the guy? who is tara's cousin -- the gay character. >> richard simmons! >> john: no lafayette. having these witch -- sometimes they'll try to do a subplot. and they just drop the whole plot line halfway through. >> yeah. >> john: but that show has gotten a lot better and we know when they have an irish character, we'll have leprecons. >> yeah, when they brought in the fairies, i was like okay.
8:27 am
i'm out of here. >> john: we'll have markos moulitsas on in just a few minutes. i want to give a shout out to the great ed koch whether you like him or hate him. he walked around the village for almost two hours debating going to war with saddam hussein with me, and i was some teenager and i was so impressed by it and even though he got a lot more conservative in his years, we was an outspoken figure for immigrants. and there was rumors around his sexuality -- >> i had never heard that before. >> john: he denied it while he was in office but there is a movie that is rather indirectly
8:28 am
based on him about a gay mayor. but it is a part of new york we all grew up with. >> a lot of people say he saved new york. >> john: yes. he did support bush for reelection back in 2004 but he -- i'll tell you one thing for him, he was never boring, and he will be missed. >> and he went on to host the people's court for a couple of seasons. >> john: oh, my god, he did. do we have time for a call chris? >> yeah, we do. >> john: jean good morning, you are on the "stephanie miller show." >> caller: good morning, john. thanks for take my call. i really like your phrase soft -- did you say discrimination? >> john: yeah, i think so. soft bigotry. >> caller: soft bigotry -- >> john: george bush said that
8:29 am
first in fairness. >> caller: interesting that he coined that phrase. >> john: someone wrote it for him. but he said it first. >> caller: i think that's a more deadly form of bigotry and i find nothing more offensive than probably pretty good hearted but ignorant people who will say that they just have a little bit of concern about gay people. it's just like some of my best friends are black, i just hope they don't move in next door, and as a person who has a friend who just came back from afghanistan who is now able to serve as an openly gay woman, and just finished her fourth deployment, i just find it highly offensive to hear anybody try to diminish the patriotism the loyalty of gay people to this country and -- and -- and
8:30 am
everything else to me cascades from there, so to say that there's any reason whatsoever for gay kids to not be scouts or for gay people to not be leaders is just incredibly offensive to me. >> john: congrats for being on the right side of history, it is only going to get better. thank you for the call. i was just talking about again nach village -- i once saw a protest where a man died of hiv-related illnesses, and his friends were carrying a casket with him in it. overall i stand in ah to
8:31 am
about-up because it was the aids crisis that made people come together. >> yeah. >> john: it's all because the people lead and the leaders followed. it's the "stephanie miller show." markos moulitsas is coming up next.
8:32 am
8:33 am
8:34 am
8:35 am
♪ >> oh, that's you down there -- >> announcer: stephanie miller. >> you have very impressive friends, you found a hair style that works for you so long as it is not too humid.
8:36 am
>> john: this is john fugelsang sitting in for "stephanie miller show" who took will and had to leave. >> yes, she had a sad. but we're happy to be with you john fugelsang. >> john: i'm happy to be with you. and i'm especially happy about this next guest, markos moulitsas good morning welcome to the stephanie show. >> good morning, john. >> john: great to have you, thanks for joining us. >> pleasure. >> john: i'm dieing to talk to you, because there is so much going on with wayne lapierre and the chuck hagel punching bag yesterday. but you published some great pieces about the immigration debate. and you nailed about it what the different factions are, what they are fighting for and why they are doing it? it lays out who is doing what
8:37 am
and why. can you expand a bit on that for us. >> sure. and just by way of background, i myself am an immigrant. so it is an issue near and dear to my heart. we're seeing here -- the really big issue is demographics. republicans have no interest in doing anything to help any brown person at all. some quick stats. next presidential election 2016, the non-white share of the vote will be 2% higher than it was last year. so instead of obama winning by a 3.9%, he would have won by 5.3% everything else being equal, just demographic vote.
8:38 am
every one -- 100,000 americans die. and they are not going to win a national election unless they can make inroads into the latino vote. so you have basically three groups. i would say people who actually care about immigration reform and making sure we don't have this inhumane underclass that's most -- most democrats -- not all, most democrats. there may be a republican or two in there. i doubt that. >> john: it's hard to tell because for -- you can have a marco rubio come here and talk about the sincere need to have sane immigration form or john mccain who was saying finish the dang fence four years ago, but you don't know if they mean what
8:39 am
they say or they recognize the political reality that they are marginallizing themselves. >> that's true. now you have the second group, which is those predominantly republican -- not the majority i don't think, but i think john mccain is in there definitely marco rubio, these are people who want to at least outwardly show that they are not haters towards latinos. so what they are really focused on is we're going to go through the emotions pretend we want reform, but we don't want to make millions of new democratic voters, because you have between 10 and 13 million undocumented immigrants, and if 80% of them vote democratic -- i would say
8:40 am
probably even more -- but let's say 80% vote democratic you are talking 8 million net vote gain for democrats. obama won the 2008 election by a landslide. republicans are absolutely terrified of that, and they have every reason to be. >> john: exactly. you can't get the white house without 60% of the latino vote and so now it's these two factions in the gop -- it's more than that really, but you have the ones that recognize the political reality. and then you have those who don't care and they will not much on this. and it almost seems like whereas the democrats try to drive a wedge into the gop on class and the 47% issue, this seems like a really effective issue.
8:41 am
if they win good for them if they fail, those bad republicans stopped us from getting immigration reform. >> yeah, exactly. they are going to suffer short-term right? these people say we can't get 8 million more democratic voters. they are absolutely right. the problem is they are already facing a huge deficit that is already getting a lot worse. 76,000 latinos turn 18 every month. so they don't have a choice. the question is you have -- people who maybe think obviously we're going to suffer in the short-term but let's play this long game. let's start turning things around so maybe in eight or 12 years we can be competitive with latinos again. >> john: exactly. >> and then you have the fake reformer, who i think is rubio,
8:42 am
they want to sort of legalize in a sense the undocumented immigrants but they don't want to vote. so we're not going to trigger the citizenship requirement. and that's just to create latinos that don't vote. >> john: exactly. some of the moderate republicans might be on the right track. because they are not a monolithic voting block. there is a lot of diversity, and a lot of catholicism and in spite of the fact that they have these tremendous demographic, the party keeps choose toes alienate these folks. >> that's true. the median age of a native-born latino is 18. that's why it has this
8:43 am
incredible growth potential. in 2012 in the exit polling, the most pro gay rights demographic was latinos. >> wow. >> the most pro-choice demographic was latinos. you know why? because i was like you, they are catholic and more socially conservative. but the median age is 18. and when you look at age groups what is the most tolerant age group? obviously it's the young groups. and if you have a young cohort they will be pro gay, and pro choice, and here is the -- this one also blows my mind. a pew poll found that the -- that asked that people who had favorability in terms of
8:44 am
socialism, latinos were more favorable toward socialism than wall street protesters. >> john: yeah, i want to ask you markos about this congressman from pennsylvania, lou barletta. he came out this week proving bobby jindal is right about the party of stupid and actually say the majority that are here illegally are low skilled and may not even have a high school diploma. right, because people who work back-breaking jobs just to live here are obviously lazy and the notion that most immigrants are low-skilled illiterates. is this bigotry common in the gop or do you think some of them are starting to wake up from it? >> no, it's common. and you can see it in the way
8:45 am
that the republican establishment has really lashed out at rubio, even though rubio -- [ inaudible ] -- they are not going to deport these people. it's impossible. >> john: right. >> sanatorium and rick perry, [ inaudible ] that's not going to happen. and even that is getting hammered by the republican establishment, and plus the elected officials -- i mean the republican house has just been horrible, and also their media outlets. even the intellectual conservatives like at the national review, they are bashing mccain and he is right now being pillared. so i don't think -- >> john: and deservedly so. >> yeah, they are not evolving. [ inaudible ] competing against each other, and they are not
8:46 am
going to turn that off overnight. and i talk about -- even though they are going to have short-term gain, there is no way for republicans to look at the demographic situation right now, and say we can avoid short-term gain and be competitive in 2016 it's just not going to happen. hillary clinton is leading all leading republicans in texas. >> john: yep. this week in texas we found out the majority of texans favor any assault weapons ban. when i look at the details of the bill it seems like a pathway to citizenship, but if you want to follow the rules undocumented workers have to notify them of their presence. they have to pay a fine a lot of back taxes and then they have to go to the back of the line waiting for the green card. if you are working here presumably well below minimum
8:47 am
wage it's not unreasonable to [ inaudible ]. so really quick before we go markos, do you buy this as a sincere effort of reform or it is just completely unreasonable that it would ever work? >> i actually don't mind this. from a political reality people are willing to support immigration reform. but they want to get the sense that if people [ inaudible ] penalty part. so i don't mind that. the vast majority of these immigrants are paying taxes. so if -- if the back tax provision shouldn't impact the vast majority of them. it details how much of a penalty there is going to be even if there is going to be one, beyond the back taxes, but i don't think it's unreasonable to request that. because they did sort of break the law. and so nobody out -- immigration
8:48 am
reformers aren't going to get hung up over that. because if this is a way for us to improve their lives then that is a small price to pay. >> john: markos moulitsas of day dailycros. thank you so much. >> thank you. >> john: we'll be right back after the break. ♪ question whether i'm right, but i think that the audience gets that this guy, to the best of his ability, is trying to look out for us.
8:49 am
what we need are people prepared for the careers of our new economy. by 2025 we could have 20 million jobs without enough college graduates to fill them. that's why at devry university we're teaming up with companies like cisco to help make sure everyone is ready with the know-how we need for a new tomorrow. [ male announcer ] make sure america's ready. make sure you're ready. at devry.edu/knowhow. ♪ ♪
8:50 am
8:51 am
8:52 am
he was a fashion icon living a beautiful life until a chance encounter took it all away. of all the hours in all his days, these are the ones you'll never forget. ♪ >> announcer: stephanie miller. ♪ we are here to party ♪
8:53 am
♪ boogie nights ♪ ♪ dance with the boogie get down ♪ >> john: that is my parent's wedding song by the way. >> it was not. >> john: no, it was not. i'm john fugelsang filling in for steph who has taken ill, and we hope she is resting and forcing fluids first i have to say there are so many things to be excited about, but the only thing that really matters is the biggest comedy show to hit the midwest. what it is chris? >> stephanie miller sexy liberal comedy tour is making a return
8:54 am
visit to the chicago theater on april 13th. tickets are available at ticket master.com. the sexy liberal comedy tour at the chicago theater april 13th. sweet home chicago is about to get more sugar from momma. >> john: oh, yeah. and there will not be a blues band with us this time. it's going to be so much fun. i have so much new material i'm so ready to bring to chicago. and who knows there may be some special surprise. >> what? no! >> john: it's early still, but you never know. >> bags of vipers. >> john: yeah, bags of vipers. i'm not allowed to say anyone -- if i ever reveal who a surprise guest is stephanie
8:55 am
picks up her phone and says dead hooker in the trunk. and i don't even have a car. >> but you do have a dead hooker. >> john: right. you were there for the sexy liberal in dc. it was so much fun. and what i like most about this tours seriously, it's not just an evening of high-quality entertainment and the kind of comedy you will never get in comedy clubs, which are wonderful places but it's a chance to be around a couple thousand people who are like you, who don't have the bald eagle fetish like that neighbor of yours, and who aren't telling you how jesus hated gays, if you are so sick of being surrounded by people who are trying to bring us back to the glory days of george w. bush.
8:56 am
come out and have some fun with people who get it. and it's a party. i mean it's just -- >> and travis and i were thinking about taking the weekend off and going there. >> john: you don't say? >> yeah. >> john: we might have a chance to let the people of chicago see what t-bone looks like. >> exactly. >> john: and stephanie has been keeping this rumor going that my child was conceived in the dressing room there. >> well -- >> john: maybe i'll bring him this time. >> yeah. >> john: we do have some time left in the show for a couple of calls, i believe. peggy in texas is calling about guns. >> caller: hi. i was just going to say if a woman wants to have an abortion, and she is forced to undergo a vaginal probe and looking at
8:57 am
pictures of aborted fetuses, then why don't we have it if someone wants to purchase an assault rifle they are forced to look at pictures of those dead babies, and undergo a questionnaire telling them that that gun might some day kill someone. >> john: that's a great idea. >> there is a certain hypocrisy you are pointing out there. >> caller: exactly. >> john: you are exactly right. and i'll also say if the white house wanted to get 100% of the people on their side for sensible gun control release the photos of some of the people who has been killed in massacres, because someone on the fence right now about a
8:58 am
30-round magazine they will be offof the fence when you can see what the maniac can do if he doesn't have to unload? >> assuming the parents agree. >> john: of course. i'm not calling for more pictures of massacre victims, but i think if there were you would see a lot more people making up their mind on the side of sanity. >> caller: and especially the ones that want to purchase such a rifle. >> john: exactly right. and if you are haunter, and you need 30 rounds you suck at hunting. and there's only one reason a hunter needs 30 rounds and that's zombie deer. the arkansas senate voted to allow guns in churches. and i thought if anyone deserves the right to protect themselves it's alter boys.
8:59 am
i don't really understand this notion that in a sanctuary of non-violence you have to bring a gun. if you go to a church where you have to have a gun you don't need to change the laws, you need to change your church and i think it's a free country. but this mentality that the problem with christianity is that they let this long-haired non-violent hippy run it. >> yeah. i think it's wrong that the state is forcing churches to allow patrons to bring their guns in. i think each church should be able to decide whether it will allow that. >> john: i agree. i think guns should be allowed in church, but the people who want to bring guns to church shouldn't be allowed in church. jesus was anti-violence, and if you are

tv
Liberally Stephanie Miller
Current February 1, 2013 6:00am-9:00am PST

News/Business. (2013) New. (CC) (Stereo)

TOPIC FREQUENCY Stephanie 144, Stephanie Miller 43, Chicago 21, John 18, Chuck Hagel 15, John Fugelsang 13, John Mccain 10, Hagel 6, Texas 5, New York 4, Cisco 3, Obama 3, The Chicago 3, Sec 3, California 3, San Francisco 3, Markos Moulitsas 3, Jim Nabors 3, Devry University 3, Karen 3
Network Current
Duration 03:00:00
Rating PG
Scanned in San Francisco, CA, USA
Source Comcast Cable
Tuner Virtual Ch. 107 (CURNT)
Video Codec mpeg2video
Audio Cocec ac3
Pixel width 704
Pixel height 480
Sponsor Internet Archive
Audio/Visual sound, color


disc Borrow a DVD of this show
info Stream Only
Uploaded by
TV Archive
on 2/1/2013
Views
70